Monday, November 18, 2013

Christmas Muzak

I’ve admitted to being a little anti-holiday. But I do like Christmas. I like remembering Christ’s birth, drinking spiked cider, and watching my kids decorate the Christmas tree (a great reason for having teenagers). But I really don’t want to start Christmas early. December 1 is early enough.

Do Christmas trees in all their faux, spangled gaudiness have to arrive in stores even before Halloween? Aren’t American consumers spending enough on costumes and candy?

But the worst thing about the Pre-December Christmas celebration is the holiday music. When I’m shopping for turkey and cranberries, I really don’t want to hear the store’s PA systems blasting “Santa Baby” and “Jingle Bell Rock.” I mean, there’s nothing that makes me less cheery than knowing for the next month and one half I’ll be hearing the Chipmunks squeak out “Frosty the Snowman” whenever I visit a store. I don’t know about you, but nothing drives me out of a store faster than Alvin and his buddies.


There are about six weeks left of the pre-Christmas madness. I’m reminding myself that I can get through them because, aside from the trips to WalMart for food, I can pretty much avoid hearing about Rudolph’s shiny nose by shopping at Amazon. Hmm. Maybe that’s why Amazon has become so popular. Everyone thinks it’s because you can buy Christmas presents on the couch while wearing your pajamas and get free shipping so you don’t have to wait in line at the post office. But the truth is, everyone shops Amazon to avoid the Christmas muzak. 

3 comments:

  1. Yep! And I'm too busy to go shopping when I can do it in my PJ's with free shipping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can shop at home and listen to all 500+ Christmas songs I have on my little player :>) I love Christmas music...usually listen to it until around Valentines Day. That being said...I don't like all the Christmas stuff displayed with the Back-to-School items. I don't like seeing Christmas lights up already...but the day after Thanksgiving, I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this has made me aware of how utterly unaware I am of store muzak. I dont recall the last time I actually paid any attention to what was filtering out of the speakers well above my head.

    I wonder if it would be odd for you to walk around the stores with noise-cancelling headphones?

    ReplyDelete