Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Visit From the Editing Fairy Godmother

A week from today, my kids come home for Thanksgiving (woot) and the two at grad school are bringing their significant others (double woot). And my grandmother and parents are coming. It’s going to be great, but I have a ton of stuff to do. Cooking, cleaning, etc. But that’s okay because I still have a whole week.

And then, the editing fairy godmother decided to visit. This is also a great thing. I’ve been struggling with edits—forcing myself to do them. So I’m thrilled that all of a sudden the edits are flowing through my fingers tips like magic. And I’ve been writing long enough to know that you have to write when the magic strikes.

The problem is that I haven’t been able to figure out how to use my magic to do cook, clean, and edit all at the same time.  Next time my editing fairy godmother visits, I’m asking her to give me a time turner as well. I think that should be a standard issue item when the editing FG visits at holiday times.


I love this fairy painting. But I suspect my fairy godmother is a bit more sinister.
File:Fairfacefairy 2.jpg
Art by Sophie Anderson courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

4 comments:

  1. Clearly that is her "I brought you this gift at an inconvenient time because I'm sweet and innocent and couldn't possibly have known any different" face.

    We've informed both families that we are not going to be visiting this year for Thanksgiving. Our anniversary is so close to the holiday that it usually gets lost, so, since this is #5, we're doing out own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Of course the editing fairy would come now. I've thankfully come to the point that I can turn it on and off whenever I want--which is super important with the crazy schedule we keep--or maybe it's because of the crazy schedule we keep. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently parsed "fairy godmother" and realized something interesting. This is a being from the realm of Faerie. And yet she is willing to go through a rite in a Catholic Church in which she vows to raise a child in that faith in case the parents die. What would motivate a being to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need a brownie. No, not that kind of brownie. A faery brownie. They like to clean house and cook.

    Have a Happy Turkey Day and I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete