Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What Does Customer Service Mean?

The summer before I started college, I worked at a satellite receiver company in customer service. While there, I learned one important lesson. Always, always apologize and take responsibility for the problem. Customers are calling because the product failed. So it's the company's fault.

The computer repair company which is servicing my laptop has not learned this lesson. Yesterday, I called to check on the status of my computer.

Me: I'm calling to check on the status of my computer.

Customer Service: It takes 24 to 48 hrs. for a diagnosis to be made.

Me (not pointing out that it was around that time): So, you'll contact me when a diagnosis is made?

Customer Service: No. The company you bought your computer from will contact you.

Me: Okay. Could you make a notation in the file or ask the techs to test the system and verify the repair before the computer is sent back?

CS: We always verify the repairs.

Me: Okay. Well, this is the second time my computer has been in for the same problem.

CS: Clearly something else went wrong with your computer after it left here.

Me: Uh, my computer has the exact same problem that it had originally.

CS: (silence)

Me: Right.

CS: Anything else I can do for you?

Me (biting back the words "I'm not sure you've actually done anything for me"): No. Thank you.

It would have been nice at some point for the customer service agent to say, "I'm sorry you're having a problem." Or even, "I'll send the techs a note to do a thorough check."

Instead, the CS reps are hostile. As if it's my fault the computer isn't working. In any case, I hope that when I get my laptop back, it works. (This time they told me it would take two to three weeks to get it back--and that's without a diagnosis of the problem. I'm beginning to feel like they're trying to punish me so I'll give up and buy a new laptop.) But if the laptop comes back after all this time and still isn't repaired, I'll be contacting the better business bureau.


1 comment:

  1. Alas, customer service seems to be a thing of the past. (Most of the time. Not always.)

    Good luck getting your computer back. And working well.

    ReplyDelete