Friday, March 1, 2013

Goodwill, Grad School, and Vampires


It’s been a whole week since I’ve blogged. I don’t know if that’s ever happened before. Even when we go on vacation, I usually post pictures.

The good thing is that nothing bad has happened to me. Things have just gotten even busier than before (didn’t know that was possible). Here’s what’s been going on.

1. My parents are moving, so I’ve been helping them pack and thinking how grateful I am that it’s not me who’s moving. Though I’m jealous of the opportunity to cull:

My mom: Do you think I need to keep this?

Me: Have you used it in the last year?

My mom: No.

Me: It gets packed in the going-to-Goodwill box.

2. Luke and Ariel are preparing to visit graduate schools. Next weekend, Luke’s visiting University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and Ariel’s visiting Emory. Now I have to explain to people what my kids are going to study.

Me: Luke, are you studying those cage things that tie things together?

Luke: You mean ligands?

Me: Yeah.

Luke: No.

Me: Oh…

Luke: I’m studying organo-metallic catalysts.

I turn to Ariel.

Me: Ariel, so when people ask what you’re studying…

Ar: Math.

Me: Right. So I can say complex analysis.

Ar nods.

Me: Are there any practical applications?

Ar: I hope not.

3. I’ve been editing my third novel in Screwing Up Time series. Why is it that even though I know it’s the first edit after the first draft, I still hope that nothing needs to be changed? I find myself muttering and blaming my characters. Hmm...When my kids go to grad school and people ask what their mom does, will they say, “She grumbles and talks to herself”?

4. And last of all, I’ve been reading The Historian for my writers’ reading group. Normally, I’d never choose to read a vampire book. In fact, I’d usually view it as a literary punishment akin to reading James Joyce, but I’m loving this one.

3 comments:

  1. Your kids are too smart! :D

    I've heard of the Historian and it sounded interesting. Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Are there are any practical applications?"

    "I hope not."

    That's hilarious.

    Dontcha hate it when life gets in the way of writing? Just kidding. Somebody's blog post the other day was titled, "Writing is NOT My Life." She made a good point. Writing is something we enjoy, but our family, our friends, our other activities... comprise our actual life. Writing is just part of it, and blogging (should be) an even smaller part. (oops)

    Anyway, the point it, however often you have time to write a blog, it's always good to hear from you. Good luck with that next book in your series. I'm looking forward to it.

    (You never thought you'd enjoy a book about about vampires? Well, I certainly never expected to read... and enjoy... YA books, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    You're so sweet--thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying the Screwing Up Time books!

    ReplyDelete