Friday, January 13, 2012

Hate is a strong word, but I really hate cleaning the bathroom.


I woke up crabby today. The snow that floated in the air last night dried up and the flakes that actually touched the ground, didn’t stick. Okay, maybe I’m just really crabby because I woke up with a sinus headache—only I don’t have frontal sinuses so it’s one deep in my head and if gets infected, my brain will rot. And I can’t take decongestants—they make my heart beat way too fast. So I’m going to spend the day in front of a vaporizer, trying to melt scum out of my sinus.

Friday is also Clean the Bathroom Day. Which I hate. Does anyone know how to make bathroom cleaning fun? I make ironing, which also hate, fun by streaming a Netflix. Yesterday, I watched the first episode of Island at War. It was really good. But bathroom cleaning...the only thing good about it afterwards it smells like lemons. Maybe I need a soundtrack. A lot of writers have soundtracks for their novels—music that puts them in the mood to write or reminds them of their characters. Yeah, that’s it. I need a bathroom cleaning soundtrack.  For the shower I could play “Raindrops keep falling on my head.” Especially for the times, that I’m thinking about my novel and turn on the shower spigot instead of the bath spigot and get totally soaked. Yes, it has happened on more than one occasion.

For the tub, I could listen to “Splish, splash.” For the sink, How about the "Happy Working Song." Although rats and cockroaches aren't my usual cleaning buddies--I'll stick to my minions. Maybe I should try singing the "Happy Working Song" to them. Or not.




 For the toilet, which I really, really hate cleaning, I could play “Hate” by the Plain White Ts.



 Anyway, I hope these make your weekend cleaning more fun! I know they bring a smile to my face.

14 comments:

  1. Hahaha we all have our pet peeves. Mine: Dishes.

    I hate touching mush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do confess that I have hummed "Happy Working Song" while vacuuming (my #1 loathed chore) on occasion, just to try to make myself hate it less. For some reason cleaning the bathroom has never bothered me that much, although the days when my youth group helped clean the church once a month and I had to clean the men's room - GAG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i HATE having to haul the trash down our very long driveway at 10pm after a very long day when 3 others in the household could have done it but forgot it was trash day. For 6 years it's been the same day. Do you forget it's Sunday and time to go to church? Really. Fortunately, I need the exercise and by the time I stomp back all the way up the drive, I've gotten some of my anger out. Some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misha,

    Rubber gloves. They make long ones now that reach almost to your elbow, so they never get water inside. Almost never. When a minion dumps them in a sink full of water, they will get water inside. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing worse than cleaning your own bathroom is cleaning a public restroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, bathroom cleaning. O_O Yeah, I tend to find that cleaning goes faster if I'm listening to music or talking on the phone. Except talking on my phone is hard to do when tilting my head for all the bathroom cleaning--but it sure does make washing the dishes go by fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sing while you work. Always works for me. Having a couple cats "helping" with the chores generally makes them more enjoyable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, yes! I was totally going to suggest music! When I did my assigned apartment chore in college, I'd always set up the laptop, turn up the sound and put iTunes on shuffle. Or in the case of vacuuming, I'd bust out the iPod. But yeah, bathroom assignment was the worst. :P

    Happy Working Song is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can handle bathrooms. Just cleaned mine today:) I find it satisfying to see all that hard water staining and scum disappear!
    But one thing I don't like doing...giving kids baths. I don't mind bathing dogs or even cats. But kids for some reason weird me out. Rather strange. Runny noses too. They are disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought Matthew cleaned the toilets. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know bathrooms are on my hate list too to clean. I keep one of those after-flush automatic cleaners and after-shower spray thingies to avoid regular cleaning as long as possible

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luke,

    We have three bathrooms, and Matt cleans one toilet...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Or you could "Whistle While you Work"
    duh dee duh duh duh dee duh... Worked for Snow White, although strangely the Seven Dwarfs didn't seem to have a bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love "Happy Working Song!" Sometimes I do sing it while I'm cleaning the bathroom! But mostly, I listen to my iPod; it helps get my mind off it.

    I hope your sinus headache went away!

    ReplyDelete